Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A new life at site

6/09/06

It’s hard to believe that I am here and finally starting my project. And the housing situation is a surprise. I am staying in one of the biggest houses on the block. It’s a big pink house with a tall white wrought iron fence and a white balcony with hanging plants with red flowers. I also have several conveniences that I didn't expect to have: a shower head and flushing toilet. (This is not a common PCV experience.)

I was walking home from school last night on an overcast afternoon, I noticed that two neighborhood boys slowly strumming and harmonizing to a ballad in Tagalog on their porch. I grabbed a cup of coffee and stood in the doorframe of my house listening.

Eventually, they noticed me standing there and I slowly made my way over to the porch. It turns out that the house across the street is my host father’s brothers’ home. Only the mother and her son live there. The two boys were from neighboring houses and were friends of my host cousin. He is a character. He doesn’t say much but has these wide brown eyes that always seem to stare intently and too long as if questioning everything. He is one of those kids who probably drives teachers around here nuts because he is always thinking of reasons why a theory might not work or be accurate. He watches me intently with a curiosity too blatant and direct for a Filippino but his excuse could be that his parents have lived overseas since he was four and they visit only every two years and he may beaffected by their modern Italian ways.

As for my job, I’ve only been going into work for three days and I’m already totally exhausted. It isn’t the job. I haven’t actually started any projects. I’m still in the planning process. Gathering contacts, making courtesy calls, writing letters and forming initial relationships.

It’s the language barrier that is really making my days seem endless and lonely even though I’m constantly surrounded by people. I only understand a 1/3 of what people are saying most of the time. They only speak to me in English when I don’t understand the Tagalog translation.

I know that the only way to resolve this issue is by working harder at studying the language, but I am feeling restless to get beyond this transition point and be really integrated into the community. I know that this will take time and I need to have patience with myself.

I’m also anxious to make new friends in my neighborhood people who I can talk to about something other than work and my housing adjustments, just about life, pop culture, lighter topics. I’ve started playing Scrabble with two fellow teachers from the science department in the library. It’s a nice break in the day and a way to get to know the teachers without having to speak much. I also really want to get to know my host siblings and their cousins. I am going to buy a deck of cards tomorrow and see if they’ll play Tongits (kind of like Gin Rummy except there’s more strategy involved and you place bets each round) with me tomorrow night after work.

6/10/06

Kumakain (Eat)

My host parents are being exceedingly kind and trying to accommodate my vegetarian diet. They made a cream based soup with sweet potato leaves, okra, mungo beans (slightly similar to lentils) and lanka and an omlette with lanka (has the texture of artichoke heart but is more sweet than salty) and banana heart (unripe banana) that I completely inhaled. So delicious! I have so many good vegetarian recipes to add to the Peace Corps Filipino Vegetarian Cook Book. Another volunteer and I will most likely come up with several recipes of our own as well.

Taytay Falls

Regardless of the good dining experience this evening, I would undoubtedly have eaten with relish tonight. It was a busy day. I was up early cooking lunch for our hiking trip. We took two different jeepneys to get to Taytay Falls. One from Santa Cruz to Barungay MaJayJay and than took another jeepney from the terminal to Taytay Falls to somewhere on the other side of the mountain, it seems where the trail leading to the falls were. The reason were traveled all that way to see the falls, it was only 20 pesos to get into the park whereas the Pagsanjan Falls only 4 minutes from Siniloan is 700 pesos. And was it worth the trip? Definitely.

The best part really was trying to get to the last waterfall in the park. The first one was the largest but its beauty was completely overshadowed by campers sitting right one the rocks in their beach chairs cooking and playing radios. Tents were set up on the rocks everywhere. It was so bizarre. I guess that it is cool at night and that is why the camping tents were set up on the rocks but I kept wondering how so many people staying in such a small space could possibly be hygienic or good for the park environment.

We climbed past all the seasonal campers, around some large mossy boulders until we reached a small, fast moving gap in the path with an unestimated depth. We stood there each in our own minds weighing the risk against the reward until a group of ten year olds and their fathers lithely skipped past us and over the dreaded gap. Feeling foolish we started to make our way over to the gap. One father turned around and reached out his hands to take our bags across. Then, he held out his arms to help us cross. When we reached another fast moving current, he stood in the river and helped us cross by holding onto a branch above our heads and then climbing up a steep boulder and being hauled over it by the person above us. The next challenge was walking along several feet of root and mud created cliffs only a foot wide. Yes, I’m proud of myself too, considering there was a steep drop of at least 20 feet to the stream below. Once we got the last waterfall. (See pictures on flicker.com site.) A Filipino man, the same one, let us use his rubber coated cable to lower ourselves down along the side of the rock face where he stood ready to help lower us down, only a few feet below. Basically, we never would have had this little adventure without the help of a few strangers (Filipinos) generosity.

And this is one of the many times this has been the case in the short time that I have been here. Basically, I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the patience of my language instructor, the generosity and warm heartedness of my first host family and the welcoming spirit of the Filipino culture. I never would have made it this far. The Filipino people have made the hardest parts of the journey (so far) durable. Every time I’ve felt lonely or discouraged about learning the language, there was someone to talk to. (Of course, that also is true of my fellow volunteers, what would I have done without them!!)

Okay, enough with the sappiness this is starting to sound like an acceptance speech. What I really wanted to mention was the fantastic colors of the waterfall. The water is so clear but has this aqua green glow which one of the fellow volunteers believes is because of the lighting. I think it’s due to the chemicals in the water. Different types of linchen and plants on the rocks tend to make the water look a different color than it actually is. I'm just guessing, though. Also, as I looked around, I noticed small pinwheels of magneta covering many rocks at the water line and downward. I was amazed by the green and red colors and how there seemed to be not one kind of moss but several different shapes, lengths and sizes. Why was this so fascinating to a non-science major? The colorful affect of rose, green, white, red rocks all in the same shallow pool of water look like a Maxwell Fairchild painting.

Once we finish the hike, we returned to the jeepney terminal, a simple concrete bus station stop, doubling as a ticket box office with a card table and water-logged record book. (Everywhere you go in the Philippines you are asked to sign in and out, from the administrative offices of municipio (government) buildings to the smallest tourist attractions.) In place of a guard in a booth and an automated gate are two boys standing on either side of the gate. One pulls the rope to lower the stripped vertical plank (weighed down on one end by two full rice bags) across the road and the other raises the plank by leaning on the weights.

We waited for some time and ended up walking down the road before stopping a jeepney going in the opposite direction. We were lucky we got on before the jeepney got back to the campsite. Not only were the two long benches along the bed of the truck filled, but people squatted in the aisles facing forward and people sat on the roof of the truck, the legs hanging over the roof rack. One person even sat on the hood of the jeepney on the passengers’ side at one point. When we went up hills all the people on the roof had to get off and walk until we got to the top of the hill.

6/12/06
Independence Day
Today is the official day the Philippines recognize their independence from the Spanish and Americans. We stood in the town plaza, all organization representatives dressed in their pleated pastel toned uniform or polo shirt with the department/organizational shield on the right hand pocket. People presented flowers at the statues of Jose Rizal, Andre … and a WWII memorial all in the same section of the plaza square in recognition of all the important people who died and fought for the independence of the Filippino people. We also sang the “Bayan Magiliw”, the Filippino National Anthem and “ The Siniloan Hymn"

Belonging is important here. Uniforms denote ones unity with an organization. Recognition of titles is also expected. If someone holds an important role in their office or an organization in their spare time, you refer to them by their title: Priniciple, General Manager, or Chief So-and-so. Titles are a source of pride.

Afterwards, we had a meeting at a very nice restaurant outside of town, which to my “pagkamuhi”, displeasure, there was a videoke machine. The group insisted that I sing “Cruzin”. Big mistake. I have never been so embarrassed that I had a physical reaction. Sweat was suddenly trickling down my temples, back, neck, I was so nervous. The entire faculty staff was present including all the music teachers who undoubtedly laughing at me. How embarrassing. Fortunately, everyone couldn’t have been more pleased that I was a good sport and sang for them. I also showed them a little sample of my salsa dancing skills with the help of my co-worker.

A challenge that I am still having a hard time stretching my mind around is the importance of socializing with those you work with and not just dropping by and dashing out like we do in the states. You can’t do that here. You have to sit down eat, talk, sing and dance. There’s especially pressure on me to give people a chance to get to know me. And I want to it’s just pulling me out of my comfort zone to sing and dance, entertain people and act comfortable around them when I’m not ready yet.

Everyone wants to get to know me. And since I do not speak the language fluently, I still feel out of my comfort zone most of the time, which is sometimes exhausting. But people really go out of their way to get “mahinhin” (shy) me to dance and sing with them and not be shy. They equate shy with feeling out of place and they clearly want me to feel at home. I really want to be a part of things, but I am always worried that I will do something foolish. And before I know it, I am in the eye of a whirling spiral of tsimoso (gossip) that I can’t understand. Sentences with my name in it running through conversation around me like factory room full of automated looms.

Texted Hiku to fellow Volunteers:

Ode to the Tone Deaf

Sing an English song
Laughter_ at me or with me?
Sing another song?!


Ants Everywhere
(Revised)

Two-way traffic
over white tiled railing,
both to and from
the same sanguine peel

Beading like mercury
ants move up my leg
nipping me now and then
to see if I’m ripe, yet.


Kinana (Earlier)~~~

I was walking with a co-worker to our post-flag ceremony marienda (mid-morning snack)/meeting and we discussed raising children in the US and here. I said that in the states parents don’t leave their kids at home without someone to watch them and without knowing that person’s resume, ten references and social security number. Here, people find out if a nanny is okay through word of mouth. Tsimoso(gossip) is invaluable in that way. If you do anything that whole neighborhood will undoubtedly know about it, so everyone is very careful about appearances for this reason. It’s very important to behave appropriately in public and present yourself in the way you want others to see you.

If interested in hearing some local bands that I hear daily if not every five minutes:

Kamikaze
6Cycle Minds
SugarFree
Imago
Radioactive Sago

Most Popular Songs:
“Darna”
“Cho-co-late”
“High”

Favorite American/English songs:
"My Humps"
Any thing by Celine Dion and Air Supply. (Let me put it this way, ABBA toured here last year.)

Siniloan Legend
The legend behind the name of the municipality of Siniloan is closely incorporated within a popular story handed down from earlier times of which it also constitutes the legend of the nearby municipalities of Siniloan. Long time ago, there was a group of men who concocted to trap a wild pig in preparation for the incoming merry-making. They started by folowing the trails leading to a mountains. After a long walk they were fortunate enough to spot a big wild pig eating grasses and fallen riped fruits under the tree which they called "LUMBANG". They tried to trap the wild pig by using a net but the pig was able to escape. The men were so irritated and frustrated that they named the place Lumban.And so they ran after the wild pig until they come into a thick forest. They named the place San Juan which today a part of the Municipality Of Kalayaan. The strong desire of the men to cupture the wild pig propelled them to search eagerly in every part of the forest. Later, they found the wild pig hiding in the shrubs. They were able to tie the wild pig'd snout but they failed to capture it totally because it was able to lose itself and eventually eluded them. From then on, they called the place "Longos" another part of Kalayaan Municipality.Once again, they tried to run after the wild pig until they came to plain area when they decided to construct a coral to be used a wild pig's cage. From there, wood were gatheredand vent were made using a chisel or paet. From this word emanated the name "Paete." Still the wild pig remained at large. However, they didn't lose hope. they began to search again until they found out that their arrows needed to be sharpened. They used a file or kikil to sharpen their arrows. From that, a certain municipality named Pakil originated.
After all those time, the wild pig was still on the loose. And when the certain time arrived, the wild pig appreared once more and was stroke heavily by an angry man which cause several broken bones in the wild pig's body. Hence, spung "Balian". A name they used to refer to that place. Nevertheless, the wild pig continued to run desprite of its fructured bones. This effort was macth by the eagerness of the men to capture the wild pig until they were able to strike the wold pig sharply again. This time, the tusk or pangil of the wild pig was hit by the blow. Thus, originated the name of certain Municipality known as Pangil. Quite not expected, the wild pig ran amuck and started to attack them. However, a snare or silo was launched before it happend. The wild pig then was trapped. Emanating from the word silo is a name of another municipality known as Siniloan. They were so jubilant that they immediately tied and carried wild pig to Santa Maria. While they were walking, they passed to place where the roads were cracked and ruuged or \nmabitac.Thus, the name Mabitac came into existence. They continued to walk until they arrived to a place where the people were celebrating in honor of the Virgin Mary. Here at long the wild pig was roasted for feast.


After all this time, the wild pig was still on the loose. And when the certain time arrived, the wild pig appreared once more and was stroke heavily by an angry man which cause several broken bones in the wild pig's body. Hence, spung "Balian". A name they used to refer to that place. Nevertheless, the wild pig continued to run desprite of its fructured bones. This effort was macth by the eagerness of the men to capture the wild pig until they were able to strike the wold pig sharply again. This time, the tusk or pangil of the wild pig was hit by the blow. Thus, originated the name of certain Municipality known as Pangil. Not quite expected, the wild pig ran amuck and started to attack them. However, a snare or silo was launched before it happend. The wild pig then was trapped. Emanating from the word silo is a name of another municipality known as Siniloan. They were so jubilant that they immediately tied and carried wild pig to Santa Maria. While they were walking, they passed to place where the roads were cracked and ruuged or mabitac.Thus, the name Mabitac came into existence. They continued to walk until they arrived to a place where the people were celebrating in honor of the Virgin Mary. Here at long the wild pig was roasted for feast.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home