Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dengue Fever

8/1/06

Another moment so frightening I totally lost my appetite and found myself playing with my food staring blankly at my plate. A girl that had appeared in the faculty office last Friday night before the festivities of the Science Camp began, (I’m feeling nauseous just thinking about her), complained of feeling sick. She had been out sick most of the week with fevers. She died that weekend from undiagnosed Dengue Fever.

Now, her baby sister, brother and mother are in the hospital with Dengue Fever. Hopefully, they can be treated in time. I knew that the student had not gone to hospital until it was too late because the parents couldn’t afford it but I was amazed that none of the faculty had picked up on the clues that she might have the fever….

The Rotary Club pays to have the region sprayed every year and probably shows a film and educational material to the rotary club members which is available for public use but no ones probably ever is made aware of it. I will mention the availability of this information and film to the barungay council when I see them on Friday and get requests from the different barungay captains if they want to show the film in their barungay. I will show the film on my labtop and hopefully, borrow the school’s LCD player.

I was shocked to discovered even though there is Red Cross Training there is no school nurse or designated school nurse. They had to decide between hiring a teacher and a nurse. It's insane but the reality of life here.

So much to do and not enough time….I’m feeling overwhelmed….But if I just remember the famous phrase I’ll be okay…How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home